Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Veloster Forum and Hyundai Veloster community dedicated to Hyundai Veloster owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Veloster Forum today!

Does Veloster N without Performance Package still have anti-lag exhaust pop and crackle?

Reactions
Hello,

I've test-driven a Veloster N with the performance package, and definitely thought it was a great, fun car. If I get one, it seems like one without the performance package would be just fine. I don't go to the track. But I really like the exhaust pop and crackle.

Also, I just saw this YouTube....

.. it is saying the exhaust pop is part of something actually functional... anti-lag rev.

So my hope is that the non-performance package still has that anti-lag and cool-sound exhaust pop. But I'd assume at less volume.

Any help?

Thanks, Joe

P.S. Does Hyundai have a way to get answers on these kind of questions without having to talk to a dealer?

esmith13

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Veloster N Performance Pack
I test drove two different Base N models before I got my VN PP. Both had nice crackle-pops. I do not know for sure if the quality and or quantity is different since it was just two 10min spirited test drives but the base N definitely does crackle-pop.

If Hyundai did have a way for you to get answers like you want without talking to a dealer they would hide them and deny they exist. More than anything they WANT you to go to the dealership. They can't sell you a car over the phone or online. They need you to sign in person to make a sale official.

Coffeeman

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Veloster N, Base
Just purchased Base N. Definitely has crackles and pops, just not the ability to regulate the crackles and pops through the Mode Display, as does the N with Performance Package. Heard Albert Bierman say that "...the crackles and pops..." in exhaust work as Anti-Lag, though he did say they were a surprise initially, but left in due to anti lag benefit. He did not distinguish between the base N and the PP N.

Coffeeman

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Veloster N, Base
I also struggled with justifying the extra $2100.00 for the Performance Package. I've never taken a car to the track. I don't do Motorcross events. But I do like getting the best product, even if I have to pay more for it. In this case I purchased the base N. I did not "need" the larger brake calipers and rotors, the "active" dampers over each wheel, the adjustable exhaust, the Pirelli tires (actually preferred the Michelins). Would have loved the LSD, but did not think it warranted the extra $2100.00. One thing I was interested in is the RevMatching. I thought it might not be included with the Base, but in fact, it was. I was surprised in my Base that the passenger seat only has manual 4 way adjustment. My wife is 4'11" and can barely see over the dash when in the passenger seat. I went to raise the seat, only to discover that it can't be raised ( as one can with the driver's seat). Not sure if the PP N is different. So, we're shopping heightening cushions. I can say that, had I known about the passenger seat, it would not have caused me to go for the PP Veloster N. I would have loved the LSD, and would have paid for it had it been segregated from the total PP, but, alas, it was not. Also, wanted the active dampers, but after driving my Base Model, it doesn't make the difference I thought it would. (Maybe another track specific performance feature?). I drove the PP N in early 2019.

Blu_Krby

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Veloster N PP
I also struggled with justifying the extra $2100.00 for the Performance Package. I've never taken a car to the track. I don't do Motorcross events. But I do like getting the best product, even if I have to pay more for it. In this case I purchased the base N. I did not "need" the larger brake calipers and rotors, the "active" dampers over each wheel, the adjustable exhaust, the Pirelli tires (actually preferred the Michelins). Would have loved the LSD, but did not think it warranted the extra $2100.00. One thing I was interested in is the RevMatching. I thought it might not be included with the Base, but in fact, it was. I was surprised in my Base that the passenger seat only has manual 4 way adjustment. My wife is 4'11" and can barely see over the dash when in the passenger seat. I went to raise the seat, only to discover that it can't be raised ( as one can with the driver's seat). Not sure if the PP N is different. So, we're shopping heightening cushions. I can say that, had I known about the passenger seat, it would not have caused me to go for the PP Veloster N. I would have loved the LSD, and would have paid for it had it been segregated from the total PP, but, alas, it was not. Also, wanted the active dampers, but after driving my Base Model, it doesn't make the difference I thought it would. (Maybe another track specific performance feature?). I drove the PP N in early 2019.
So I bought the PP model and it does have the option to adjust the seat height, and the lumbar support in the drivers seat. I was willing to pay the extra $2100, because once you look at it over the lift of the loan its negligible, plus I like having the nice things and +25HP tempted me. If you like I can upload a video of the interior of my N and you can compare it to the base model you drove?